Why are companies increasingly choosing ceramic 3D printing over other technologies? Ceramics can be called the ideal material. The fields of application are expanding due to the possibility of using it in additive manufacturing. In this article we will talk about choosing a ceramic AM technology. If you research our observations, it will be easier for you to choose the technology to work in your own field. Different technologies allow you to achieve different results when using ceramic 3D printing.
The main advantages of 3D printing with ceramics
- High mechanical strength, hardness and wear resistance of the resulting parts.
- Low density, lightness.
- High operating temperatures (up to 3500 C), ceramics are an excellent heat insulator, so the parts do not deform in a large temperature range. This is a very important feature for applications in the space foundry industry.
- Chemical resistance. Products are able to work in aggressive environments, protected from all forms of corrosion.
- Excellent dielectric properties allow widely using this material in electronics and computer engineering.
- Impact toughness. Certain types of ceramics are used for mechanical parts capable of withstanding high loads in mechanical units, such as bearings.
- Radiation resistance makes it possible to use it in the nuclear industry.
- Biocompatibility. Printed products can be used to replace bone structures in the human body.
Materials for ceramic 3D printing
- Alumina is aluminum oxide or alumina. This material is used to print most end products that require high strength mechanical characteristics, good detailing, and chemical resistance. It has good thermal conductivity, hardness, corrosion resistance and fire resistance, and is an excellent dielectric. It is used in catalysis, water treatment, and electronics.
- Zirconia – zirconium oxide. Main use is for aesthetic applications such as jewelry. Very robust. It is biocompatible with living tissues and has a high chemical resistance. Zirconia is used in dental fillings, heat barrier coatings, and jewelry. It is possible to make high-resolution, polished items.
- Fused Silica – silica-based materials for investment casting. Silica-based materials with various additives are excellent ceramic solutions for casting cores in investment casting because of their high temperature stability, heat resistance and leachability.
- Hydroxyapatite. Printing with hydroxyapatite is currently at the research stage. In the future this material will be actively used, because it is excellent for making structures for bone replacement and for dental implants.